The Constitution of Churches of Christ SA & NT Inc. was last updated in November 2015. It is available for download below.
Insurance We are pleased to be part of Churches of Christ Insurance. For more information, go to the CCI webpage. Should you have any queries with respect to your coverage, or alternatively require a certificate of currency, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Church Incorporation - What Does it Mean?
We have developed a helpful position paper to guide churches in the important area of church incorporation. This paper can be found under 'resources' in our site menu.
We have completed a template constitution which churches are able to utilise. Contact us on (08) 8443 7572 or email for further advice in this important area.
Accounting and Payroll Services We provide accounting and payroll services for a number of churches and ministry groups, and are excited to offer a new level of services to our churches. Contact us for more information as to how you can very cost-effectively manage these critical functions in your church. We utilise the latest accounting software Xero, which easily and effectively provides important reports for your church online.
Ministers' and Employees Benefits Scheme Churches of Christ Ministers’ & Employees’ Benefits Scheme delivers the wonderful service of facilitating a portable long service leave fund for ministers and staff of Churches of Christ organisations throughout Australia. As a national service the Ministers’ and Employees’ Benefits Scheme is operated by the Churches of Christ in Australia national body for use by any church or agency.
Ministers Salaries Each year, the State Board appoints The Ministers’ Salary Advisory Committee to consider Ministers’ Salaries and make recommendations. Please email us if you would like access to the latest recommendations.
Ministers' Appointment & Employment Handbook This handbook underwent a further revisions in 2016, and is an essential guide to understanding ministerial employment terms, exempt benefits, and compliance aspects relating to the employment of a minister. This handbook can be found under 'resources' in our site menu.
Conference Financial Statements Audited financial statements are prepared each year for Churches of Christ in SA and NT Incorporated, as well as the Building Extension Mutual Fund Incorporated. A copy of the audited financial statements can be obtained by contacting us on (08) 8443 7572 or email us
Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission The ACNC is the independent regulator of charities in Australia. The ACNC has been set up to achieve the following objects:
- maintain, protect and enhance public trust and confidence in the sector through increased accountability and transparency,
- support and sustain a robust, vibrant, independent and innovative not-for-profit sector, and
- promote the reduction of unnecessary regulatory obligations on the sector.
Charities, including churches, must register with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) before they can receive charity tax concessions from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
It is important that the church maintain its status with the ACNC. Ongoing reporting requirements are minimal, and can be found here. In short, you must:
- notify any key changes to the ACNC (eg. legal name, address for service, responsible persons and governing documents),
- maintain appropriate financial and operating records, and
- report annually.
Note that these requirements apply independently of incorporation status of the church.
Safety Management Online™ is an important online tool which is available to Churches to help manage people and programs involving Children, provided by ChildSafe Limited. You can login to the site at the link below.
In 2014, the State Board of Churches of Christ in SA & NT established a new Child Safe Work Group to provide resources and practical support for congregations as they work to ensure their ministry with children is conducted in the safest and healthiest environment possible. Many Churches of Christ in SA are already using the ChildSafe™ program, and the Child Safe Work Group is actively seeking to expand that number.
What Are Our Objectives?
• We want our churches to be communities in which children feel at home and in which they flourish.
• We want our churches to be communities in which children are valued and respected.
• We want our churches to be communities in which leaders set the tone for attitudes, policies and practices that foster respect and safety.
• We want our churches to be communities at the forefront of shaping environments and activities that are kid-friendly and child safe.
• We want our churches to be communities in which all adults accept and share the responsibility and privilege of respecting and caring for children.
• We want our churches to be communities in which any accusation or rumour of abusive or inappropriate behaviour towards children is taken seriously and responded to promptly, compassionately, justly and transparently.
Sadly, our churches have not always been safe places for children, or places in which children have flourished.
ChildSafe™ is not just about sexual abuse or exploitation. It’s also about:
• Not placing children in situations that may cause them to feel pressured or anxious.
• Not allowing children to participate in activities when there is risk of injury, coercion or social isolation.
• Building solid ‘risk management’ practices into all children’s activities, programs and facilities.
The long-term damage done to children who are abused or mistreated by adults is widely acknowledged. So too, is the harm that occurs when these children are re-abused by ‘authorities’ who fail to act appropriately, or collude to protect the reputation of their organisations.
ChildSafe™ is a widely used program that assists churches to take responsibility for ensuring they are communities in which children are safe, and in which they can flourish. It refers to a specific program of safety management for those working with children and young people.
Child Safe is the term used to refer more broadly to a commitment to the safety and risk management.
Where Can I Get Further Information?
The attached file offers a policy template. If you would like the editable version, send us an email inquiry to request our latest Childsafe policy and procedures document or any other information. Check our events section for the latest Childsafe training event near you.
We are part of a dynamic national movement, being one of five state conferences of Churches of Christ in Australia.
Churches of Christ in Australia is made up of state conferences in:
New South Wales & ACT
South Australia & Northern Territory
Victoria & Tasmania
More information regarding the national movement of Churches of Christ can be found at the link below